Ginger Ice Cream
Ice cream with zing. Try it with classic homemade apple pie.
- 2 cups heavy cream (35%)
- 1 cup whole milk (3.5%)
- 4 egg yolks
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons ginger powder
- In a saucepan, combine the cream and milk and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, sugar and ginger powder.
- Gradually add the warm cream mixture, whisking vigorously.
- Pour the custard into a heavy saucepan and cook over low heat, whisking continuously until the custard is thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon.
- Remove from heat, cover and let cool for at least one hour.
- Pour the mixture into the bowl of an ice cream maker and freeze by churning for 20-25 minutes or according to instructions.
- Transfer the ice cream to a container and store in freezer to harden for at least 4 hours before serving.
PREP TIME: 5½ hours
COOKING TIME: 15 minutes
*Make the ginger ice cream one day in advance of serving. Freeze the bowl of an ice cream maker for at least one day before making ice cream.