Sake Steamed Clams
There’s nothing more delicious than steamed clams with this savoury sake broth.
- 4 dozen fresh clams
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- ½ cup sake
- ½ cup vegetable stock
- ¼ cup mirin
- 2 tablespoons green onion or chives, chopped
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Wash the fresh clams and remove impurities. Discard any clams that are not fully closed and/or have an odour.
- In a large saucepan, heat oil on medium heat and add garlic and shallots. Cook until translucent.
- Add the clams to the saucepan and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add the sake, vegetable stock and mirin. Turn heat to high, add the clams and cover the saucepan. Let the clams cook for 8-10 minutes until all the clams open. Discard any clams that do not open.
- Add the green onion and cover the saucepan. Keep covered for one minute.
- Remove the clams and place in bowls.
- Season the remaining juice in the saucepan with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Pour the sauce over the clams and serve.
PREP TIME: 15 minutes
COOKING TIME: 10 minutes