Surf & Turf
This sizzling classic prepared Japanese-style will have your taste buds celebrating.
- 2 tablespoons soya sauce
- ½ teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 115 g filet mignon steaks, about 2½ cm thick
- ½ teaspoon fresh garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 whole live lobsters, 680 g each
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 tablespoons Wafu® Original Sesame Japanese Dressing
- ½ teaspoon fresh tarragon, chopped
- Freshly ground pepper
- Pat steaks dry.
- In a large bowl, prepare the steak marinade by mixing together the olive oil, soya sauce, ginger, garlic, mirin and pepper.
- Add steaks to the mixture and make sure they are covered with the marinade. Cover bowl and let marinate in the refrigerator for 45 minutes.
- Fill a large stockpot half full of water. Add sea salt.
- On high heat, bring water to a boil then add lobsters head first into the pot. (Lobsters must be alive when immersed into the boiling water.)
- Cover pot with a lid and return to boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook lobsters for 5 minutes. The shells will turn red.
- Remove lobsters and place in ice water (an ice bath) for 3 minutes.
- Place lobsters on a cutting board, belly up. Using a large knife cut the lobsters lengthwise. Clean out the tomalley (the green substance in the cavity). Cut small slits into the claws to ease opening. Place the lobster halves on a baking sheet, flesh-side up. Set lobsters aside.
- In a small bowl, mix the melted butter, Wafu® Original sesame Japanese dressing, tarragon and pepper. Set aside.
- Remove the marinated steaks from the refrigerator.
- Place oven rack to the top (highest) position. Preheat boiler to the highest temperature.
- Preheat a cast-iron skillet on the stove on high heat for 5 minutes.
- Brush the exposed lobster meat with the mixture and place under the boiler.
- Place the marinated steaks into the preheated skillet and place the skillet under the broiler in front of the lobsters.
- Let steaks broil for 4 minutes, then flip over and broil the other side for another 4 minutes.
- Remove skillet from oven. (If you prefer steak to be well done, broil for longer. You can check how well done the steak is by making a small cut in the middle of the steak). Place steaks on a platter.
- The lobsters should broil about 10 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Serve Surf & Turf immediately on individual plates. Serve lobster with extra Wafu® butter on the side, if desired.
PREP TIME: 60 minutes
COOKING TIME: 20 minutes