TAMAGO YAKI: Japanese Omelet
Japanese omelet is made by rolling together layers of egg. Try our tamago recipe and use it for nigiri or in a variety of sushi rolls.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons mirin
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- Let omelet roll cool and slice.
- Serve as is or as nigiri sushi.
- Roll into a round or rectangular shape, like you would roll sushi.
- Remove omelet from pan and place on a paper towel on a bamboo mat.
- Repeat until mixture is used, 2 or 3 times.
- Once this layer sets, roll the first roll back to the front of the pan.
- Add more oil to the pan using the paper towel. Pour more of the egg mixture into the pan making sure it also runs under the rolled-up portion.
- Once the mixture sets, roll it towards the back of the pan.
- Pour ¼ of the egg mixture into the pan and spread thinly, similar to a crêpe.
- Pour oil in a small bowl. Lightly soak a paper towel into the oil and use it to rub oil into the heated pan.
- Heat a square pan (tamago pan) on medium high.
- Gently beat eggs, sugar, salt and mirin in a large mixing bowl.
PREP TIME: 10 minutes
COOKING TIME: 10 minutes