Ce tempura léger et croustillant, facile à préparer, peut être dégusté seul ou comme garniture pour une variété de rouleaux de sushi.
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2½ cups ice water
- 6 cups vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 small eggplant, sliced into 8 bite-size pieces
- 1 green or red pepper, quartered
- 8 shiitake mushrooms
- 8 broccoli heads
- 12 large shrimp, shelled and deveined
- Transfer shrimp and vegetables to paper towels to drain. Always remove any residual batter from oil before adding the next batch of shrimp or vegetables. Always ensure oil temperature remains at 325°F.
- Using chopsticks (or tongs) dip the shrimp and vegetables into the batter and fry, turning occasionally until golden or for about 2 minutes.
- Gently whisk in 2½ cups ice water, mixing until ingredients are moistened. Lumps will form. Lumps in the mixture are preferable.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together flour, egg, baking powder and salt.
- In a large saucepan, heat 4 inches of oil to 325°F.
- Dredge all vegetables in a small amount of flour and place on a plate.
- Flatten the shrimp by making several cuts across the inside curve of each shrimp and gently stretch the shrimp flat on a cutting board.
TEMPS DE PRÉPARATION: 30 minutes
TEMPS DE CUISSON: 20 minutes